Last Updated on February 2, 2023 by Derek
For beginners, a tropical bonsai like ficus, serissa, or dwarf jade is the best tree to choose to grow indoors.
Indoor Bonsai tree for beginners guide
You can grow Bonsai trees like Ficus indoors. Even if you are a beginner to growing bonsai trees, you will find it easy to grow bonsai.
Just place the tree near a window with exposure to sunlight. If you don’t get sunlight, you can expose the tree to fluorescent light for 10 hours daily.
Placing the tree in a tray filled with water is sufficient to meet its humidity requirements. The tree requires warm temperature and in winter keep it away from cold places.
An indoor bonsai tree takes up to 5 years to grow. With proper care you can ensure your bonsai tree lasts long.
Can you grow a bonsai tree without sunlight?
Yes, it is possible to grow a bonsai tree with sunlight. You can provide artificial lighting in the form of high intensity lights or fluorescent lights to help the tree grow.
Where should I put a bonsai tree in my house?
If you are growing a bonsai tree at home, the best place to keep the tree is near a window facing south. You will get sufficient light during the day time with the right intensity.
You should place the bonsai tree on a tray with water, so it gets the humidity it needs.
Avoid keeping the tree near hot objects like the TV or a radiator. The most important thing is to ensure it is kept near a window and not too far away.
Where can I find indoor Bonsai trees for sale?
Thanks to the popularity of e-commerce, you can now buy indoor bonsai trees online. There are many websites that offer a wide variety of trees for sale.
While choosing the marketplace, you can keep the following in mind:
- Buy from a marketplace that offers delivery through the nation.
- Ideally look for marketplaces that offer same day delivery, so there is no chance of the plant being spoiled in transit.
- Ensure they have a variety of species on offer. They should have tropical or sub-tropical bonsai trees that you can keep indoors.
- Check if the seller is experienced and has earned a reputation in the marketplace
- Look for a seller who offers competitive prices
- Before buying check out reviews of the website online to confirm if the site is good.
Apart from buying online, you can also buy from a florist or gardening store near you. You can look for a reliable nursery near your home and buy for bonsai tree.
Buying it from a store will allow you to choose from different varieties that you can see first-hand before buying.
Are bonsai trees hard to care for?
As long you place the tree in the right place, ensure it gets sufficient lights, and maintain temperature & humidity your bonsai tree will flourish.
How to grow Bonsai trees for beginners?
You can grow a bonsai tree from seedlings or a cutting. It is best to buy a bonsai kit from a store that comes with everything you need.
- When you get the plant from the nursery/store, remove 2/3rd of the root ball with the plant. Spray water to moisten the roots.
- Plant the root ball in a pot. While doing this, remove dead branches and ensure it is topped with gravel.
- Water the plant well. Shape the tree by wrapping a wire for a snug fit around the tree.
- Take proper care by watering and adding fertilizer.
How to grow a bonsai tree from a cutting?
It is possible to grow a bonsai tree from a cutting. The following explains how it can be done:
- Choose a cutting from a healthy tree by choosing a sturdy and healthy branch.
- The branch should have green growth on it.
- Make a 45 degree cut using shears. Immediately place the cutting in a jar containing water.
- Plant the cutting in a pot that has soil and organic compost. An ideal pH level of 6.5 to 7.5 is needed for the plant for thrive.
- Ensure the tree is watered and taken care of well.
- You need to have patience as it takes time for the tree to grow from the cutting.
How long does an indoor Bonsai tree last?
On average, an indoor bonsai tree would last for at least 10 years. The exact lifespan would depend on the species and also how well it has been cared for.
It is even possible that the common ficus bonsai can last for up to 100 years.
How do you take care of a bonsai tree for beginners?
As a beginner, if you have a bonsai tree, then you need to take proper care of it. Ensure it is kept near a window where it gets sunlight.
If there is no sunlight, use artificial lighting for 10 hours. Ensure humidity is maintained so the soil is moist.
Water the tree once a day and ensure the root system gets sufficient water. Use the right soil with fertilizer to ensure it grows well.
Prune and shape the tree regularly, so it grows well.
How do you care for a bonsai tree indoors?
To care for a bonsai tree indoors, you need to ensure it gets sufficient lighting (natural or artificial. Ensure humidity is maintained by placing it in a tray with water.
Ensure a warm temperature is maintained. Water the plant and user fertilizer as required.
Bonsai tree for sale – best types to buy for beginners
If you are planning to buy a Bonsai tree to grow indoors, then you need to look for a tropical species. Here are some of the best bonsai trees for beginners:
- The Ficus bonsai is considered as the best bonsai tree for beginners. It is easy to grow and care of, and comes in different varieties.
- Schefflera bonsai is also called the dwarf umbrella tree and is preferred for its unique looks. It can thrive even in low light and humidity.
- Chinese Elm bonsai is a very popular bonsai tree because it grows pretty fast. It is also easy to care for
- Carmona bonsai produces white flowers through the year making it a very popular bonsai for indoors.
- Serissa or Snow rose bonsai produces beautiful white flowers that would make the owner really proud. It is also easy to care for.
- Crassula bonsai looks like a shrub and is one of the best species to grow indoors.
FAQs relating to can bonsai trees grow indoor
The FAQ’s given below will provide you all the information you want to know about growing bonsai trees indoor.
How much does a bonsai cost?
The average price of bonsai trees is around $25. The exact price depends on the species and its age.
An older bonsai would be more expensive because of its quality and since it fully grown.
How much is a 5 year old bonsai worth?
A 5 year old bonsai is a basic tree grown in a pot and ready to place in your home. Its price can range from $35 to $500.
The factors that determine the price of the tree include:
- The tree species with rarer species costing more.
- Whether the tree is difficult to grow.
- The history of the tree.
- Trees that have grown in a place that is not its natural environment.
- The appearance of the tree and if there is any design involved.
Which is the best bonsai tree for beginners?
The ficus bonsai is the best bonsai tree for beginners. The tree thrives in tropical places like Asia, Australia, and the West Indies.
It is a great tree for beginners to grow indoors. Ficus benjamina or the weeping fig is one of the most popular species of this tree
How much is a 400 year old bonsai worth?
Older bonsai trees are more expensive since they are of good quality and have been taken care of well.
There are bonsai trees that are many centuries old and have been maintained well. A 400 year old bonsai was stolen in Japan a couple of years ago.
A Shimpaku bonsai was valued at $90,000.
Interestingly, the most expensive bonsai was a pine bonsai bought for $1.2 million.
- Bonsai trees can be easily grown indoors provided you pick a tropical or sub-tropical species.
- The tree needs natural or artificial lighting along with humidity. Most species would need a constant warm temperature.
- It is easy to care for most bonsai trees, which is why these trees are popular of beginners.
- The older the tree, the higher is its cost. Most bonsai trees for beginners can be purchased for around $35.