What Can You Grow Beginning With G?
Gardening is fun and a hobby for some people, significantly when you can grow assorted plants rather than dealing in our line like vegetables. There are various things you can grow in your garden, including trees, shrubs, and annual and perennial flowering plants. Yet, it is advisable to research the growing requirements for each item before settling to grow.
So, if you are searching for something to adorn your garden, here are some trees, flowers, and shrubs that start with G.
- Grape hyacinth (Muscari armeniacum)
- Gum tree (Eucalyptus)
- Gardenia (Gardenia jasminoides)
- Garden angelica (Angelica archangelica)
- Garden heliotrope (Valeriana officinalis)
- Garbanzo Beans (Cicer arietinum)
- Guava tree (Psidium guajava)
- Gaultheria mucronata Royal Red (Pernettyas)
- Green squash (Cucurbita pepo)
- Granny Smith Apple (Malus domestica)
List of Flowers That Start With G
Did you know that some flower names start with G? such flowers are either annual or perennial. While some grow naturally as wildflowers, others are garden blooms that you can grow to grace your landscape in different seasons. The following is a list of the flowers that start with G:
- Garden rock cress (Arabis caucasica)
- Golden chamomile (Cota tinctoria)
- Golden dew drop (Duranta repens)
- Green Strawberry Hedgehog Cactus (Echinocereus engelmannii)
- Greater Masterwort (Astrantia major)
- Great Periwinkle (Vinca major)
- Gooseneck Loosestrife (Lysimachia clethroides)
- Golden thistle (Echinops)
- Gharden stock (Matthiola incana)
- Garden phlox (Phlox paniculata)
- Goldenrod (Solidago)
- Gardenia (Gardenia jasminoides)
Do Gerberas Like Sun or Shade?
Gerberas thrive best in full sun, but they can tolerate partial shade. Still, they cannot survive intense heat, especially the afternoon sun. In regions that experience a hot summer climate, it is best to grow your plant in a spot with partial shade in the afternoon. It would help if you did not plant it near a structure that might reflect heat, like a stone wall or foundation.
Apart from the sunlight, the type of soil is essential for the maximum blooming of gerberas. Start them off with well-draining soil that is rich in organic matter. They prefer pH levels between 5.5 and 6.5. They will bloom in summer and fall with red, pink, white, orange, or yellow blossoms under the right conditions.
Annuals That Start With G
Unlike perennials, annual flowers do not come back each year. They complete an entire life cycle in a single season and die after blooming. There are many annual flowers that start with the letter G. Below are some examples.
Garden Balsam (Impatiens balsamina)
It is an annual flowering plant with thick upright stems and light green foliage. The leaves have serrated edges, and it bears cup-shaped blossoms that spread about 1 to 3 inches across. The blooms can be bicolor, spotted, or solid.
Here are incredible facts you should know about garden balsam.
- It is native to Asia.
- Its mature size is 6 to 30 inches in height and 6 to 12 inches in width.
- It grows best in moist, well-draining loamy soil with a neutral or acidic pH and is rich in organic matter. They can survive slightly alkaline soil.
- Garden balsam flowers thrive best in full sun exposure or partial shade. It would be best to protect them from the hot afternoon sun. They can withstand full shade, but the blossoms might be sparse.
- It is fast-growing, and it does not tolerate cold temperatures.
- With the right conditions, it will bloom in spring, summer, and fall with pink, purple, red, white, or bicolor flowers.
Garden stock (Matthiola incana)
It is also called the Gilly flower, ten weeks or hoary. It is a half-hardy cottage garden plant with a clove-like scent that can sometimes grow as a biennial. It has spiky stems and narrow and oval leaves. The blooms may appear as tight clusters or scatter loosely among the spiky stems.
Here are the must know facts about garden stocks.
- Some species attain a mature size of 12 to 36 inches in height, but most of them are 12 to 24 inches tall in maturity.
- It grows well in moist, well-draining soil that is rich in organic matter and has an almost neutral pH of 6.8 to 7.5.
- It is native to Europe; the Mediterranean.
- They enjoy full sun exposure but can still blossom in partial shade. A long time of exposure to direct bright sunlight can overwhelm the plant, so the morning sun is the best.
- They require regular watering in summer, but too much water can turn the leaves yellow
- If the conditions are favorable, it will bloom in spring through summer with a broad range of flower shades like pink, white, blue, purple, or apricot.
It is also called annual Geranium, regal Geranium, or zonal Geranium. It is an herbaceous flower grown as an annual in all regions except hardiness zones 9 to 12, where it grows as a perennial. It has various varieties, some perfect for container growing and others for beds and borders.
Here are the growing requirements and facts about geraniums.
- It is native to South Africa, but most of them now grow as hybrids.
- They can grow as tall as 5 to 36 inches, depending on the type.
- They grow well in averagely moist, well-draining, slightly acidic (5.8 to 6.5 pH) soil that is organically rich.
- They flourish in full sun exposure but can withstand partial shade.
- Under the right conditions, they bloom freely throughout the season.
- The blossoms come in a broad array of shades from magenta orange, purple, pink, white to salmon and sometimes bicolor.
- It is poisonous to humans, pets, cats, and dogs.
Globe amaranth (Gomphrena globosa)
It is an herbaceous annual native to Central America. It is easy to grow and fast to mature and bloom. They are fit for fresh flower arrangements since they are long-lasting. Here are the facts you must know.
- It is an actual annual flower in all hardiness zones.
- It can flourish in any well-draining soil type with a slightly acidic to neutral pH of 6.1 to 6.5.
- It blooms in full sun exposure, but it can withstand partial shade, but too much shade minimizes flowers.
- The mature size is 12 to 24 inches in height and 6 to 12 inches in width.
- It blossoms from June to frost.
Godetia (Clarkia amoena)
It is an annual flower in the primrose family. It is also referred to as farewell-to-spring or satin flower. The following are its growing requirements and must know facts.
- Its best hardiness zone is 3 to 10.
- It thrives in infertile to moderately fertile, well-drained low-moisture soil with a neutral Ph.
- Godetia grows well in full sun to partial shade.
- It blooms from June to July with pink, white, lavender, red, or salmon blossoms.
What Is the Use of Balsam Plant?
The balsam plant is famous for its many benefits to humans. It is not only edible but also bears medicinal values.
Rose Balsam is a traditional remedy for the treatment of many complications. First, it relieves joint pains. Juice from the leaves is excellent for treating warts. Crushed leaves make poultices for skin inflammation and wounds. The flowers offer a cooling effect on scalds and burns. Powdered balsam seeds are fit for providing strength to women in labor.
The flowers and leaves also produce dye. Some parts of it, like the leaves, roots, and seeds, are edible.
Perennials That Start With G
Perennial plants are flowers that come back each year. Here are some of them that start with G.
|Common name||Botanical name||Facts|
|Grape Hyacinth||Muscari armeniacum||It thrives in well-drained acidic, alkaline, or neutral soil and full to partial sun exposure. It blooms in mid and late spring. It is rabbit and deer tolerant but attracts butterflies.|
|Goldenrod||Solidago||It is a summer and fall-blooming plant that thieves in full sun and well-drained acidic or neutral sandy soil.|
|Gardenia||Gardenia jasminoides||It is a perennial flowering shrub that blossoms in partial sun. It blooms from mid-spring to fall. it prefers well-drained neutral or acidic loam, clay, or sand.|
|Sword lily||Gladiolus||It thrives in well-draining acidic, alkaline, or neutral soil and full sun exposure and blooms in spring, summer, winter, and fall. It is rabbit and deer resistant and attracts hummingbirds and butterflies.|
|Blanket flower||Gaillardia x grandiflora||It flourishes in full sun and well-drained neutral or alkaline loamy soil. It blooms in summer and fall to attract butterflies and birds. It is resistant to drought, deer, rabbits, dry soil, and salt.|
Infographic: perennials that start with G:
Do Grape Hyacinths Spread?
Grape hyacinths spread both by seed or underground through bulb offsets. The spreading can be of advantage to the gardener. Keep checking the establishing clumps. If they seem to be spreading well, extract them and replant them in pots.
What Is Goldenrod Good For?
Goldenrod is famous for its health benefits. It is excellent for relieving pain and inflammation. It is also a diuretic for boosting urine flow and stopping muscle spasms. It is an ideal remedy against arthritis and rheumatism.
It is best for skin conditions such as eczema. In addition, it treats tuberculosis infection that returns after some dormant period.