Last Updated on February 2, 2023 by Clarisse Walters
What Is a Plant That Starts With F?
If you are interested in researching plants, you will discover that there are more plants on earth than you know. Some have multiple common names but are differentiated by scientific names, some of which start with the letter F. Take a look at some great garden plants and trees that start with F:
- Fairy Duster (Calliandra Eriophylla)
- False indigo (Baptisia alba)
- Fan columbine (Aquilegia flabellata var. pumila “Alba”)
- Fan flower (Scaevola Aemula)
- Feathery Cassia (Senna Artemisioides)
- Finger Cherry tree (Rhodomyrtus macrocarpa)
- Foxtail palm (Wodyetia bifurcata)
- False tamarind tree (Lysiloma latisiliquum)
- False cypress tree (genus Chamaecyparis)
- Fan palm tree (Livistona chinensis)
List of Flowers That Start With F
Did you know that there are many types of flowers whose names start with F? These blooms range from perennials to annuals, wildflowers, and dazzling garden blossoms. Identifying them is easy if you know the common and scientific names. Here are some stunning blooms that start with F.
- Forget me not (Myosotis)
- French Marigold (Tagetes patula)
- Floss Flower (Ageratum houstonianum)
- Flax flower (Linum usitatissimum)
- Fern leaf yarrow (Achillea filipendulina)
- False Rue Anemone (Enemion)
- Flannel flower (Actinotus helianthi)
- Fairy duster flower (Calliandra eriophylla)
- Fire pink (Silene virginica)
- Flame Nettle (Coleus scutellarioides)
Infographic: List of flowers that start with F
Are Forget-Me-Nots Easy to Grow?
Forget Me Not is a low-maintenance plant that grows in hardy zones 3 to 8, and it is native to Asia and Europe. It is perennial, which comes back each year, spreading and flowering. It produces airy stellar blossoms with stunning white or yellow eyes and bright blue or pink petals. It is simple to grow and maintain if you provide it with the right growing conditions.
Here are exciting facts and growing conditions for Forget Me Not flower.
- It grows best in moist, well-drained chalk, loam, or clay that is rich in organic matter and has a neutral, alkaline, or acidic pH.
- It prefers full sun exposure, but it can tolerate partial shade.
- It is easy to grow and requires moderate watering.
- It is showy and semi-evergreen.
- It is resistant to deer and rabbits, but it attracts butterflies.
- Its mature size is 15 to 30 cm in height and 22 cm to 60 cm in width.
- With the right conditions, it blooms from mid-spring to mid-summer.
- It is a low-maintenance plant ideal for beds and borders, ground covers, and growing in containers. It also grows perfectly well in rocky gardens.
Annuals That Start With F
One of the primary classifications of flowers is annual and perennial flowers. An annual plant can complete its life cycle from seed to bloom within a single growing season. There are different varieties of annual flowers, some of which have either common or scientific names starting with F. Here are some examples of the ones that start with F.
French Marigold (Tagetes patula)
It is a bushy annual plant that produces crested, double, or semi-double flowers. The flowers are small, 2 inches across and come in shades from red, orange, to yellow. It has finely divided dark green foliage.
Here are facts about the French marigold flower.
- It thrives best in moist, well-drained clay, loam, or sand with neutral, acidic, or alkaline pH and prefers full sun exposure.
- It can tolerate clay soil, deer, drought, and some shade.
- It blooms with showy and fragrant flowers throughout summer and fall.
If you want to learn more about what makes Marigolds special, try reading our article on Flowers that start with M.
It is a low-maintenance bulb grown as an annual flower in many regions and produces sweet fragrant flowers of various shades. Freesias grow in long stems, with each stem producing about 5 to 10 blooms.
These are the growing conditions for the freesia flower.
- It flourishes in moist, well-drained soil with alkaline or neutral pH.
- It is best in full sun but can withstand light shade.
- It has a mature height of 30 cm to 60 cm.
- It requires moderate watering.
- It is resistant to deer and rabbits.
- The blooms are showy and fragrant.
- It blooms in spring, summer, fall, and winter.
Fuchsia shrub makes one of the most spectacular summer flowers. It bears clusters of showy jewels that attract hummingbirds and butterflies. The magnificent blooms come in various colors, from purple and luscious pinks to white and sometimes peach. Their supporting hardiness zones are 6 to 11.
- It grows best in moist, well-drained soil.
- It thrives in partial to full sun exposure.
- It is perfect for hanging baskets, beds and borders, patio and containers, and small gardens.
Flax Flower (Linum usitatissimum)
The flax flower is an annual shrub mainly grown for oil and fiber. The flowers are very short-lived as they form seeds after a day. The flower forms a tiny round capsule that bears the small, flat, and shiny seeds.
Here are the growing conditions and facts favoured by the flax flower.
- It requires low-maintenance and moderate watering.
- It thrives in moist, well-drained chalk, sand, or loam with a neutral, acidic, or alkaline pH.
- It appreciates full sun exposure.
- Its mature size is 60 cm to 90 cm in height and 20cm to 25 cm in width.
- It has essential components like omega-3 fatty acids, Linum, and Alpha-linolenic acid. These compounds carry medicinal value. It is a perfect remedy for bronchitis, burns, cancer, rheumatism, scalds, gonorrhea, sclerosis, and persistent coughs, among other conditions.
Flax flower is an important raw material in various industries like paint and varnish.
Fennel Flower (Foeniculum vulgare)
It is a low-maintenance annual herb that bears showy, fragrant flowers. It thrives in moist, well-drained soil with a neutral, alkaline, or acidic pH. It prefers full sun exposure for maximum blooming. It is drought-resistant but requires moderate watering to establish.
The mature size for this shrub is 60 cm to 90 cm in height and 30 cm to 60 cm in width. It is ideal for beds and borders. Fennel flower blossoms from mid to late summer with brilliant blossoms that attract butterflies and birds but are resistant to deer.
How Big Do French Marigolds Grow?
French marigolds are among the easiest annual flowers to grow and how big they grow depends on the conditions. Their mature size is 6 to 123 inches in height and 6 to 10 inches in width. For it to achieve this size, it must be grown in moist, well-draining soil that is not waterlogging. You can boost their growth with fertilizers every once in two weeks.
Apart from growth in size, this plant needs care to form blooms and foliage. It requires full sun exposure to develop dense blossoms and magnificent foliage. Protecting them from pests and diseases will also contribute to maximum growth.
Perennials That Start With F
Perennial plants have a tendency to come back each year. Here are some of the perennial plants and flowers with F.
|Common name||Scientific name||Facts|
|Feverfew||Tanacetum parthenium||It requires well-drained alkaline, acidic, or neutral loam or sand soils and full sun exposure to bloom. It blooms in mid and late summer. It is deer and drought resistant but attracts butterflies and hummingbirds.|
|Flowering tobacco||Nicotiana persica||It blooms throughout summer and fall. It flourishes in moist, well-drained soil with neutral, acidic, or alkaline pH and requires full sun or partial shade. It attracts birds, butterflies, and hummingbirds.|
|Flowering dogwood||Cornus florida||It is a perennial shrub or tree that blooms throughout spring, summer, fall, and winter. It appreciates moist, well-drained acidic or neutral soil and partial to full sun exposure.|
|golden bell||forsythia||It is a spreading deciduous shrub that flowers in early and mid-spring. It thrives in well-drained soil with acidic, neutral, or alkaline pH and appreciates partial to full sun exposure.|
|Four O’clock flower||Mirabilis jalapa||It is a tuberous perennial blooming from mid and late spring, summer to fall. It flourishes in well-drained neutral, acidic, or alkaline soil and prefers full sun exposure.|
|Foxglove flower||Digitalis||It is a low-maintenance perennial blossoming in early and mid-summer. It prefers well-drained acidic, neutral, or alkaline pH and partial to full sun. Hummingbird FuchsiaFuchsiaIt’s a perennial shrub blooming from summer to fall. It needs moist, well-drained soil and partial to full sun exposure.|
Is Foxglove Poisonous to Touch?
Foxglove is poisonous to touch. It is toxic to humans and ingesting even the slightest amount of it could be fatal if you do not take immediate action. You may not experience any effect instantly, but you risk transferring the toxins to your eyes, open wounds, or mouth.
How Do I Keep My Fuchsia Blooming?
When a fuchsia plant attains enough growth by early spring, you need to pinch the tips to encourage blooming. If you want to keep it blooming, you have to keep pruning it regularly throughout summer. Sometimes even pruning tips will not make it flower again.
You may notice that the branches start appearing old and leggy; fuchsia cannot blossom on old branches. You can correct this by cutting back the branches to the more assertive nodes. The plant will grow new branches which will start reblooming.